Sunday, December 2, 2012

Yorkshire Rarebit Benedict


Yorkshire Rarebit is a classic my mum used to make when I was a kid that I'd all but forgotten about until a recent visit to my cousins in Yorkshire, England earlier this year. My cousins took me to Betty's Tea Room, not quite the simple affaire I'd expected from my Granny's tales during her wartime years and subsequent visits with my mum.  Traditionally, Yorkshire Rarebit (or "Rabbit") is really just rich cheese sauce on toast. But oh so tasty and what a treat!

Yorkshire Rarebit (Modified from Yorkshire Teatime Recipes, J. Salmon Ltd.)

  • 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated (I used 1/2 cup smoked cheddar cheese from the Village Cheese and 1/2 regular cheddar)
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • Salt and pepper
  • Poached eggs
  • Sliced avocado
  • Toast


Melt butter and cheese with milk, Worcestershire Sauce, mustard, sprinkle salt and pepper in small pot over medium-low heat. Stir frequently. Turn down heat to low when melted and creamy.

Poach Eggs
Boil 2 cups water with 2 tablespoons vinegar. Crack an egg into a small dish. Use whisk to create a little whirlpool in the boiling water and slip the egg into middle of the whirlpool. Cook for 3-5 minutes and remove with slotted spoon. Eggs must be cooked one at a time.

Combine
1 piece toast
slices of avocado
egg
Yorkshire Rarebit sauce

Delicious!!!!

Bolten Abbey inYorkshire 

No comments:

Post a Comment