Sunday, June 17, 2012

Spring Jam

A few things I have learned about jam.
1. Sugar light pectin is better than sugar free pectin because sugar free jam goes bad too quickly. It is also better than regular pectin because there is more fruit than sugar.
2. Follow the directions that come with the pectin
3. Sterilizing jars by popping them in the oven for 10-20 minutes is easier than boiling them

It is a very rainy Spring, which does not bade well for strawberries, nevertheless I was out in the Valley this weekend and did manage to find a muddy farmside stand with a few small bland but still tasty berries. Rhubarb does not seem to mind the rain.

I collected a few of the many glass jars I've been saving all winter to make a batch of Strawberry Rhubarb jam.

I followed the directions that came with my box of certo light (pectin) and made four jars of jam. This cost approximately: $5 strawberries, $1.50 rhubarb, $2 pectin, $1 sugar. So, under $10 for four jars of jam. The last time I bought jam it was close to four dollars for one jar, and who knows where those berries came from.








No comments:

Post a Comment